Tips for Using Fume Hoods and Biosafety Cabinets
Take a moment to review the Lab Workstation Checklist. It will assist you to evaluate your work station and working postures. Discuss the results with your supervisor to find ways to mitigate the risks.
- Remove false fronts and supplies from under the work area.
- Use anti-fatigue floor mats if standing for long periods.
- Adjust your chair height and sit back in the seat using the backrest.
- Use footrests and foot rings for leg support.
- Avoid resting your forearms on hard edges.
- Pad forearms, elbows or hard edges (Avoid interference with air flow).
- Position work supplies as close as possible.
- Place equipment on approved turntables for easy retrieval.
- Use diffused lighting to limit glare.
- Take short breaks to stretch muscles and relieve forearm and wrist pressure.